Tuesday, May 1, 2012

{Recipe} Simple Crockpot Hoisin Chicken

 I've been wanting to use my slow-cooker for months now but honestly never got enough courage to try using it. I was anxious about leaving it on while I was taking my nap before work because I wasn't sure if it was gonna burn out the food or worse--set our place on fire!  Silly me.

Because I'm working a night shift tonight, I thought I'd gather up my courage and give it a go. Deep breath. Hold yourself together. Just do it! and I did.. and I'm so glad that I did. I delayed my nap until this finished cooking because under all this superficial courage I was still a little bit nervous. I wasn't sure if I had to turn the heat down myself. or take the food out when it was done. or, or or!

 The awesome thing I found out is that once the timer is done, your heat mode will automatically switch from "High" to "Warm" which means, I can leave it at home cooking for hours with a peace of mind. Thank you Lord for slow-cookers!!!!!

Anyway, I wanted to try an Asian-style dinner and found a recipe on a magazine I had purchased a few weeks ago. Since this was my first time I wanted to try something super easy and the "Simple" part of the title won me over. (I also love Hoisin sauce so that was also a bonus!)



Simple Hoisin Chicken Recipe:
Prep:
15 mins    Cook: 4 hours (low) + 30 minutes (high)

Nonstick cooking spray
6-8 bone-in chicken thighs (I used legs because that's all I had!)
2 Cups Broccoli Stirfry Vegetables
1 Cup of Mixed Bell Peppers (roughly chopped)
1/2 Cup Cilantro to garnish (finely chopped)
Salt & Pepper

Sauce:
1 Cup Hoisin Sauce
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 Tsp Ground Ginger (optional)

3 Cups hot cooked rice (I used Jasmine)

1. Lightly coat the inside of the slow cookier with cooing spray.
2. Season chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place chicken in Slow Cooker.
3. Gather ingredients for sauce together in a bowl. Mix well. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 4-5 hours or on high-heat for 3 hours.
3. Turn heat to high before adding the vegetables. Stir well and make sure the chicken and vegetables are well coated. Cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes more or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
4. Serve over hot cooked rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

 Bon Appétit!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!