Tuesday, September 9, 2014

In sickness and in health

School started two weeks ago and it's been going full speed from day 1. 

Eugene has been super busy (as expected), working late nights and leaving home early to get to school by 8am! He hasn't been getting much sleep and with all the recent weather changes that've been going on - it finally caught up to him. He got a really, really bad case of the cold/flu this weekend.

Eugene is one of the toughest people I know. In our (almost) 5 years together, I've only seen him sick one other time. He has never called out sick before - even if he doesn't get an hour of sleep at night, he will go to class and work a full shift at night until 10 or 11pm. He's crazy! He was running fevers of 100-102 degrees all weekend. We let the fever ride itself out the first few days - but by the 3rd day we were doing cool cloths and trying to drown it out with lots of water and tylenol. It's definitely at it's tail end of it now - but then I caught it yesterday! Boo.


Our home has been a cozy safe haven for us while we've been battling this yucky bug. Our apartment has been so hot (!!!) and we've been drinking a lot of water. Eugene had a midterm yesterday - so despite his sickness he had to power through and study all day/all night.  We had to wake up a few times every night to replace the cold compresses and take some sips of water + tylenol. I felt like we had a newborn or something! 


Having a wife for a nurse means that your temperature will be taken every 5 minutes. Hahaha :)

We tried to eat a lot of soupy things this weekend. I made a huge batch of chicken soup and it was perfect in keeping us nice and warm. I added some ginger too, and it gave the soup the perfect zing!

Eugene's favorite Korean food is sulungtang (설렁탕). He will randomly crave it and ask to go out and eat it but when he is sick - this is his main comfort food. We had a retreat at church this weekend that he wasn't able to attend - but of course I had to make a pit stop and get him some soup on my way home!


He loved it so much that he requested that we get it again the next day. I didn't mind! 


There were countless times during the night when I would wake up because I was worried about Eugene. I would see him sweating under his hood, yet shivering and being so uncomfortable.  It was so heart-breaking!

Being sick is really sobering.

It has been reminding us that we are dependent creatures and that though our physical strength may fail at times, it is ultimately God who strengthens us to do all things. I also thought about how often we take our health for granted - and how even at times, we tend to idolize health to the point that our joy is reliant on it. Our health is such a huge blessing and I'm learning to be thankful for it every day. However, this little case of the flu caused me to reflect and wonder if my joy would really be secure in Christ and if I could find peace in His sovereignty even if something happened to our health.

I found Ian & Larissa's blog shortly after Ian had his accident (almost 7-8 years ago!) - when Larissa just created a blog to ask people to pray. God has used their story and their marriage to really magnify the gospel and put it on display. They have demonstrated to me what it means to fully trust and depend on God in the darkest of times and to really love with the unconditional, sacrificial love Christ has shown in the gospel. // Here's more on their story




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!