Thursday, February 14, 2013

my first zumba experience.

When we moved to SGV, I decided to get a 24 hour fitness pass since I had a lot more time to myself. There are a few fitness centers close by, and I figured I'd try to get back into the gym groove. It's been good so far! I've set a goal for myself to go at least 3 times a week (excluding the 3 days I work, and 1 day as a "break" day). The monthly payments definitely serve as a good incentive for me to frequent the gym, but another reason I love to go is because of the classes they offer.

I went to my first Zumba class tonight. and it was really, really fun (and extreeeeeemely hilarious). Here is a picture of a zumba class I found on google:


I was laughing by myself for the whole hour of the class. I was so sad that I had no one to laugh with! There was A LOT of mexican music with a lot of "Mi Amor"s and "Ariba!"s and there was also some Ricky Martin and Shakira going on. The demographic of the class is 85% old chinese ladies who apparently frequent the class religiously. They knew ALL the moves, I totally got pwned (yes, I had to use gamer language. It was that bad). I was probably the most uncoordinated and discomboblated person there. The reason why this class was so enjoyable (and hilarious) was actually because of the 4 other people who were not of this old-chinese-lady group.

(Minus the headphones, mildly more heavy version)

1. The Grandpa - There was this cute old chinese grandpa who was in the class and he persevered through the whole, entire session. I was so proud of him! Although he wasn't able to keep up with all the fancy arm movements and hip bumps, he definitely followed all the foot work. It was impressive. Please remember that we had Ricky Martin and Shakira going on. There was some major booty-shaking going on and I got to spend the entire hour watching his version. It was great.

(Minus the head wrap, unfortunately)


2. The Ninja - I'm being completely serious. We had a ninja in the house. There was a middle-aged chinese guy who wore all black (tight black shirt and pants and shoes) who looked like he came out of a Jackie Chan/Kung Fu movie. He stood in the very front row in the corner by himself, fairly close to the mirror. He stared at himself the entire time (besides the few glances he took at the instructor) and he was completely serious. Never did he crack a smile. Also, he somehow managed to make ALL the zumba moves look very ninja-fied. It was intense.

(Not quite like this, but this was the most conservative pic I could find.)

3. The Clubber - The girl I was dancing next to looked like she just stopped by before hitting the club. Besides the fact that she was wearing tennis shoes and not high heels, this girl dressed for this class. She had tights/stockings on, with really short booty shorts and some bejeweled top on. Her dance moves (unlike the Ninja) looked really good. Like dancing at the club and everyone is making a circle around me good. There was some serious booty shaking going on, and the poor grandpa (previously mentioned) kept moving farther and farther away from her. If you ask me, her moves were a little too sexy for the group we were in the class with but whatevz.

(Hispanic version of this guy)


4. The Balla' - Lastly, there was a hispanic guy who was dressed much like the boy pictured above. He totally looked like he came to the gym to play basketball with his jersey and basketball shorts and what appeared to be basketball shoes. However, he was most definitely there for the zumba. He, like the chinese ladies, probably frequent this class quite a bit because he was probably one of the more experienced ones there tonight. He wasn't actually that fun to watch but he was definitely really serious about his zumba. During one of the breaks between the songs, I went to go get a sip of water from the fountain inside the room and he followed shortly after. While I was drinking the water, I could see his feet in my peripheral vision tapping aggressively and impatiently as he waited for me to finish. Once I finished he took like a 0.1 second drink of water and ran back to his spot so that he wouldn't miss the intro of the next song. I will definitely bring my own water bottle next time..

Overall Zumba was a fun experience and I'm definitely going to a class again! Hopefully I will make friends with some of the chinese ladies there :) If you're ever in the area, go with me so we can laugh together!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!