Saturday, November 3, 2012

{Recipe} Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Today was a very quiet, uneventful Saturday.
There were no crazy church events/weddings/bridal showers, etc so it was an unusually quiet but sweet day. Today was spent with some sweet sisters (my fave) and lounging at home with my husband (my super fave!) I haven't had these kind of days in a while, and it was lovely! Eugene and I slept in, enjoyed some warm toast with avocado for breakfast, and savored the wonderful quietness of an autumn morning. It's days like today that provide much opportunity to praise God for even the simplest and smallest things in life.

Our mantle is decorated and all ready for autumn to come and settle in.


I've been collecting orange, brown and yellow goodies since late September. The twig banner was 75% off at Joanns, the succulents and pumpkins from trader Joes, and the candles and other sweets from Target. I love how warmly these colors come together!



To honor the autumn season, I decided to purchase my very first squash last week. A butternut squash to be specific! Squash is really good for you because it's low in fat and really high in fiber. Butternut squash in particular is really creamy and rich in flavor. It's also super meaty inside so you definitely get your money's worth! 


To be honest, I initially bought it because it was really cute and I wanted to use it as a part of my mantle decoration (It was less than $2.00!) Then I thought, maybe I'll make soup... so I did! and it was so easy and so pretty and delicious that I had to share! 


Annnnnnnd, off we go! 

First, peel and cut your butternut squash. Use this helpful tutorial. Pure genius!
P.S. Do you like my new cutting board? I lurve it. I bought it at Costco, too!


Don't forget to seed your squash with a spoon and throw it out. Doesn't this just scream "Autumn"? 


After you have your squash peeled and cut, throw em on a cookie sheet and drizzle some olive oil and sprinkle some salt. 
Now, ROAST!


Chopping party!


I served my soup with some wheat sourdough bread, toasted in the oven with some butter and basil pesto spread. Yum!


After some simmering and some blending (either with a blender or with an immersion blender), it pours into THIS. 

Top with some creamy sour cream and chives, and you're ready to go! Eugene said this is now one of his favorite dishes EVER. Yay!  Next time I make this, I better make alot more than two servings. :)

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Inspired by Rachel Ray Magazine           
 Recipe Adapted from Martha Stewart

Cook time: 1 hour          Serving Size: 2 (double or triple or quadruple the recipe to make more servings)

*      *     *     *     *     * 
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut in cubes
4 large cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
4 cups of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

Toppings
sour cream (or plain yogurt or heavy cream)
chopped fresh chives

*      *     *     *     *     * 
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Peel, seed and cut your butternut squash.
2. Lay butternut squash squares evenly on a cookie sheet.
 Toss with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast for 20-25 minutes until soft.
3. Cut onion and mince garlic. Saute in the pot you will use for the soup with olive oil and spices until tender. Add butternut squash, and toss together. 
4. Add chicken brother and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, simmer for 10 minutes. Mix often.
5. Add soup mixture into a blender (or blend with an immersion blender) until creamy and smooth. Pour directly into a bowl and top with sour cream and chopped chives. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

Have a great Sunday, everyone. Don't forget to "fall back" an hour on your clocks before you sleep!

Give thanks: mornings to sleep in, a sweet coffee date with Stacey, spending another day with my sisters, my dishwashing machine, singing praises with my husband at home, trader Joes, our extra hour of sleep tonight!


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!