Thursday, November 1, 2012

My New Hobby!

I have a tendency to be overambitious sometimes. I get into alot of things really quick, but once the excitement dies down, I usually just drop it and don't ever go back to it again. For example, I'll get really excited about reading books and start three books at once and not finish reading any of them til the end. Another example: I get into baking mode and buy all these ingredients and get tired of it after a while, etc. It's a pretty bad habit, but I'm trying to work on it! Eugene is kind of expecting me to do this with my sewing machine too. He won't even let me put our sewing machine in the closet, lest I forget about it and never sew anything in my life! SO SAD. le sigh...oh, ye of little faith....


To prove him wrong (and also--to keep myself accountable tehehe), I'm gonna commit to at least one project a month!  I took a very long (1.5 hour) trip to Joann's last week, and per my gracious husband's permission-- I purchased a bunch of sewing supplies for myself. (It was so exciting because everything was on sale!! it was like my birthday all over again!) Because I never used a sewing machine before in my life, I was so overwhelmed and even questioned myself for a minute! "Did I really go overboard on this one?" - "Was this really a good idea?" - "How do I thread this thing?" -  "What the heck is a bobbin??" 

Praise the Lord for helpful youtube videos and wonderful mommies who spend time posting tutorials online. I learned how to thread my machine and make own bobbins within an hour! As soon as I got my materials in place and got my machine all stringed up, I started sewing. 


Meet Daisy, my first project ever!
I made alot of mistakes, and had to rip out alot of strings and resew it back together again but I did it!
I made this doll using this martha stewart tutorial that my friend Kathy recommended. The tutorial was very helpful and straightforward, perfect for a newbie like me. 


I've wanted a sewing machine for a really long time and always dreamed of all of the craftsy things I could make. I love my new sewing machine so much!  It's really easy to use and really fun! I've always loved receiving/giving handmade gifts. There's something really special about hand-made things with all the love, sweat, tears (and sometimes blood) thatgoes into it. The raw imperfections of handmade things make these types of gifts even more precious and priceless too. :) I'm excited to start this new exciting Martha-Stewart journey of my life (haha!). Hope I can really use this to bless the people around me. Keep me accountable!

Happy Sewing!

xoxo, 
Sharon

P.S. For my November project, I'm going to make a doll with a red polka dot dress. I'm really into polka dots these days.. :o)

give thanks - a day off, mid-day naps, fellowship with older women in the church (hi, hezy umma!), spending time with my sisters, reminders of God's faithfulness and sovereignty over our lives, eugene at home!



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!