Monday, August 28, 2017

{toddler tuesday}: fun and easy flash card box activity

it's been a while since i've posted a toddler tuesday post! it's technically still monday but if I wait until "tomorrow" (which is in 30 minutes) then I will forget and then it will be wednesday and I will wait another week since it's "toddler TUESDAY"  and then i'll forget again and then another few months will go by and then we will be back to where we started... so here we go:

HAPPY TODDLER 'TUESDAY'! 


recently -  i've been trying to think of/plan for/collect supplies for more and more toddler-friendly activities. so despite the lack of posts - i've been brainstorming, I promise! I've been researching, planning and thinking up as much as possible as we prepare for baby girl to arrive. i'm hoping to find lots of ways to keep asher occupied and entertained - especially during the early months when baby is glued to my body and my brain is on slow-mo. (T-3 weeks from today -- eeeeeeeppp!)

though I have collected (and hidden) a few special toys and workbooks for him to play with - i've been trying to find things at home that I can use! i'm realizing that it's not terribly hard to find junk to use for fun activities to keep his mind and hands busy.  this little activity has been a super easy, cheap and semi-sometimes-successful so I thought i'd share! 

i'm sure almost every mom out there has one of these:

these are the empty plastic wipe containers that you get for free when you buy certain wipes in bulk. some moms have an endless amounts of these - and I was blessed to benefit from one mama who wanted to give all of hers away (I think I ended up taking 4). I use them for wipes (like they were inteded for) but also use to store my wash cloths, etc. during our recent pre-moving day purge, i wondered if I should toss these ... then I thought of trying to use it for one of asher's quiet time activities!
target's dollar section has recently been AMAZING for toddlers/young school aged kiddos. they've had so many cool and cheap ($1-3) things for educating little minds and the asian in me went cray cray. I bought so many random (and maybe useless) things. these flash cards were one of those things. although he is a little to young to be learning his ABC's (he's only 1.5 years anyway!), I figured I can use these little thangs to keep him busy in the meantime. 

supplies needed: 
empty wipes box
flashcards (or any small object of your choice!) 

I dump the cards out and I have asher put the cards back in the box through the small slit on top. i think the cards were slightly too big to fit comfortably so I snipped the corners a little to make it easier for him. seems completely boring, right? I was amazed at how quiet and pre-occupied this kept him. some days he will sit for about 4 minutes doing it. sometimes 15. FIFTEEN MINUTES YOU GUYS. do you know how much stuff you can get done in 15 minutes when you don't have a toddler swinging on your leg like a monkey? i'm talking load the laundry, do some dishes and maybe even take a quick shower AND pee (in peace). it's amazing. 

it's super easy to set up, SUPER CHEAP (like $1 cheap!) and has been a good little activity to keep him busy and help him practice some fine motor skills.

as all things in toddlerland - it is hit or miss, but this has been toddler-tested x2 (thanks, baby H!) so I'd say give it a shot. 


cheers to more quiet + independent play! *fingers crossed*

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!