Thursday, April 21, 2016

{friday faves}: for a new mama

 can't believe I've been a mama for over 10 weeks already.

Just yesterday, I was hanging out with a few of my friends over coffee and she said "I can't believe you're someone's mommy". I can't believe it either! It still sounds weird to say it and the idea of it kinda freaks me out! 

These last 10-ish weeks have been full of lots of learning. I realize that there's really no way to learn how to take care of a baby until you actually have one. We literally had no idea what to do or how to do anything until our little human came into our lives. I've been so thankful for my BFF Google. What did we do in life before google? I literally google things 10 times a day.  

There have been a few things we have grown to love and appreciate over these last 10 weeks and I wanted to share it with you! These are some of my faves - things that have helped me tremendously in my transition to mama life. They have saved me on certain occurences, have made certain tasks (i.e. nursing and preventing diaper rash) much easier and helped me stay afloat and in line even when my mind is only functioning at 12% because of sleep deprivation.

Here they are!





1. Breast Friend Nursing Pillow - This is truly every mama's best friend. Boppys are nice, but the makers of the Breast Friend pillow had ergonomics 101 in mind. It provides amazing back support for mama, secures well onto the waist via clip and a great base for baby to lay on while nursing (with grooves to match baby head/neck/back contours and all!). Also has a handy dandy pocket for who knows what! On cluster feeding days, I literally have this pillow clipped onto my waist all day except for when I shower and use the toilet, lol. sorry, TMI but I'm telling you, it's amazing!
2. HPA Lanolin Ointment - I applied this before and after every feed for the first few weeks and it helped so much! Prevents cracking and helps soothe during those very painful first days. It is also safe for baby so you don't have to wash it off before feeding! 
3. Nursing Tanktops - Although they run a bit pricey, this has probably been the best new-mama investment thus far because they are literally all I wear. Under my shirts, jackets, cardigans, dresses, you name it! Provides easy access for baby and convenience for mama! If you've seen me out in public in these last 2.5 months, 98 out of 100 times, I was wearing this tank underneath my clothes.
4. Aquaphor - The ointment made from unicorn pee for the real. It heals all things for both baby and mama. Prevents diaper rash, promotes fast healing for scratches/dry patches, etc. When you have some excess on your hands from putting it on baby, it works great for dry heels/elbows.. bam, moisturized. Magic. It's seriously the bomb! 
5. Boba Wrap - This saved me in those first days alone at home with baby. I don't think I could have gotten anything done without this wrap. The tight wrap puts baby right against the chest which makes the baby really happy and comfy and immediately made baby fall asleep! Easy to do chores and walk to places (i.e. to get the mail or to pick something up at Target) with baby tightly wrapeed onto your body. I definitely had to watch many youtube tutorial videos and practice at home before feeling comfortable with it, but after a few times, it's like muscle memory!
6. Aden + Anais Swaddle Blankets - My co-worker got this for me because she said it was the best kind of swaddle blankets ever, and it's true! They are made out of 100% cotton muslin, the material is breathable (NO SIDS AND OVERHEATING PLS!) and they are really large and stretchy and provide a tight swaddle. They are also like fine wine and get better in time - with every wash the material gets more and more soft and snuggly for some reason. 
7. Boudreaux's Buttpaste - Okay, I must admit that I bought this specific brand because it's called "Buttpaste" but this high-dose zinc cream helps treat diaper rashes beautifully! :) 
8. MammaBaby App on iPhone - I don't know how I would have survived/functioned/remembered anything without this app during those first few delirious, sleep-deprived weeks. You can record how long baby feeds (including which side!) and record wet/dirty diapers, and sleep time too! It has been a lifesaver for me! (Thanks CJ for the rec!!)
9. Dreft Stain Remover - Baby poop has the most powerful stain-capacity ever. That yellow ink is like nothing else in this world. One time, the baby's poop sprayed onto my phone case and left a mark that required ACETONE to remove. ACETONE!! This stain remover spray has saved so many of our clothes, blankets and onesies. Thank you, dreft! PS. you smell heavenly.
10. SwaddleMeIf you have a baby like ours who has monster strength + houdini ability to get out of the tightest swaddle ever, this will come in handy. The velcro makes it harder for the baby to escape out of and has helped our baby stay wrapped tightly and sleep well at night.

I have a lot more faves so hopefully will be able to do a part 2 soon. 

Cheers! 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!