Wednesday, November 25, 2015

hello, maternity leave!

I'm officially on maternity leave! 


My doctor decided to take me off work 1.5 weeks early because the baby is bigger than anticipated and I 'dropped' last week. The baby is sitting nice and low right now, making himself quite comfortable near my pelvis. Thanks to him, I'm getting lots of exercise walking to-and-from the bathroom almost every other hour! Even though I was sad to leave work earlier than expected, I'm so thankful for the extra time that I have to rest and prepare before baby makes his grand debut in the next month or so!

I worked on Monday, not knowing that it was my last shift. I'm thankful that it was a relatively good day with lots of hugs and sweet treats. We ordered via doordash and had the most amazing seafood + steak burritos. I was able to make a patient who was in severe post-op pain a lot more comfortable by the end of my shift, gave lots of hugs to my patients' family members and got to share a cup of Starbucks coffee with my hospice patient (his request + his first oral intake in 6 weeks!) before the end of my shift. It was a rewarding day and I'm glad that I can hold onto memories like that as I enter into this season of being away from work! 

It's a strange feeling! I feel (almost) guilty for having all this free time -- but I'm trying to remember that it's good for both me and baby and I'm gonna try to just enjoy it! I started my maternity leave by reading + enjoying a cafe napoli from kean coffee and set up our baby monitor all by myself (HOLLA!) 



I also spent time compiling lists of things to do and things to look forward to during these next few weeks. :) It made me excited to see all the things I'll be able to do and all the things I can look forward to in the month before baby arrives.

things (I want/need) to do before baby comes!
  • finish the nursery (clean the clutter, wash + organize clothes, set up baby monitor, hang things, set up curtain rods!) 
  • deep clean the kitchen and bathrooms (who knows when that will happen again after baby arrives?)
  • figure out insurance things 
  • put together hospital bag (at least by next week)
  • meet + choose baby's pediatrician 
  • finish the books I'm reading and read more if possible!
  • make christmas cards
  • go to the beach a few times, just because!
  • take lots of walks and do lots of prenatal workouts
  • host lots of get-togethers
things that are happening before baby comes!
  • baby showers! 
  • babymoon trip to SD with my sisters
  • lots of family time
  • eugene ends his hardest rotation!
  • date night with eugene every night after his rotation ends
  • lots of weddings for our sweet friends
  • christmas reunion with my college friends :) 
hoping that I can make the most of my time off and use it faithfully + fruitfully :) 

xoxo


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!