Wednesday, April 1, 2015

whole 30 | meal prep and veggie frittata recipe

Happy Day 3! 

To be honest, yesterday was tough. It was my first day at work on whole 30 and it was temptation central. Apparently, people usually experience the "day 2 fog" and I definitely felt it, too! My cravings started to kick in and I couldn't get out of bed without craving my vanilla latte and (strangely + randomly) a vanilla ice cream cone from Mcdonald's. I had headaches all day until the moment I went to sleep. At work, I battled hunger all day with very limited choices for snacks in the hospital cafeteria. I actually ended up eating a boiled egg with fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt + pepper and some slices of cucumber. 

Today I feel a lot better! Yay!
If anything, the biggest change I feel so far is my sleep. I fall asleep faster, sleep depper and wake up easier in the morning (almost without an alarm at 5am today!). I'm definitely starting to feel my energy level increasing throughout the day and felt really good today :) 

I'm realizing how crucial meal prep is for this program. On Monday I had to prepare enough food for 12 meals (3 meals/day x 2 days x 2 people) because I was scheduled to work all day Tuesday and Wednesday. Skipping breakfast is definitely not an option, so that had to be included in the meal prep as well. 


Our meals for the two days were pretty much the same:

// breakfast //
  • Vegetable Frittata with sweet potatoes and some garlic+herb sausage for Eugene
// lunch //
  • Steak and grilled peppers salad with avocado, sprouts,  tomatoes and balsamic vinegar + EVOO
// dinner //
  • Tuesday - Vegetable stir-fry with thin beef and pork slices, served with my homemade Sriracha and cilantro 
  • Wednesday - Salsa Verde Chicken in a ziplock bag. We threw the salsa verde chicken in the crockpot yesterday morning and had it packed for dinner today! I served it with some more baked sweet potatoes mashed with ghee + grilled asparagus


My husband, as lovely as he is, has a terrible habit of eating anything/everything he sees regardless of the time of the day. Sometimes I'll make him pot roast or braised pork to eat for dinner and I'll see that he ate it for breakfast (what?!). Since we have to be pretty strict about eating 3 balanced meals throughout the day, I had to label all of his meals so he could eat the right things at the right times. (lol!)

Doing breakfast is actually the biggest challenge for me. 

I have to pre-cook breakfast on most days since I have to leave the house for work by 5:30am - so preparing on the day-of is nearly impossible and almost unrealistic. We usually love our eggs over-easy or sunny side up, but those kinds of eggs don't sit well in the fridge overnight. We were kinda getting sick of scrambled eggs (already, I know!) so I had to spice it up with a frittata/quiche dish. Thankfully, we already had the oven on for roasting sweet potatoes so I was able to easily slip this in. Multitasking at its finest :)

I decided to just do a vegetable frittata because I had a lot of loose veggies leftover from other recipes. In this particular dish, we are using chopped onions, red peppers, lots of garlic, zucchini, asparagus and spinach (which makes it appearance a little later!) Make sure your skillet is oiled up (I used coconut oil) 



Beat the egg and add it to your skillet when all of them veggies are sautéed up and sweaty. 


Spread it all out evenly so each bite will have a variety of different flavors in the mix.
Salt and pepper that baby up. Garlic powder/any additional seasoning is optional. :)


Before the egg sets, throw it in the oven for about 10 minutes.
The egg should set and separate easily from the sides of the skillet. 


Cut it up with your spatula and serve. 
No cheese for this recipe. Dairy is not Whole30 compliant :) 
We miss cheese but this was tasty without it, too! 

Veggie Frittata Recipe
Serves 4

1 medium sized zucchini, thinly sliced 
5 spears of asparagus, thinly sliced
1/2 bell pepper, duced 
1/2 onion, diced 
2 handfuls of spinach
6 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon coconut oil
8-10 eggs
salt + pepper to taste

  1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F
  2. Chop/dice all vegetables into bite sized pieces. Beat eggs. Heat skillet on medium heat and add oil.
  3. Saute all vegetables (except spinach) until sweaty. Add spinach and allow to steam. Salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Add egg to skillet and gently mix to even out egg + vegetable portions evenly. Pepper that baby up!
  5. Put skillet in oven for 10 minutes. Check to see if egg is done - if the egg is not completely set, heat for 1-2 more minutes until egg is cooked throughout
  6. Allow to cool for 1 minute and gently separate edges of frittata from the skillet pan
  7. Cut in portions (6-8 pieces) and serve immediately. Garnish with chopped green onions, fresh tomatoes or cilantro if desired!


Bon Appetite! 

XOXO

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!