Monday, September 30, 2013

How to feed your husband when you're out of town.

Happy Monday!

My hospital is sending me to a nursing conference in Florida this week, and I leave early tomorrow morning, Yay! I will be going with my charge nurse, B but we will be flying/hotel-ing in different places. This is my first time traveling all by myself, and to be honest I'm a little bit scared....(but more excited than scared!)

I'll be gone from Tuesday to Saturday, and this will be the longest amount of time I've been away from home since I've been married. Eugene's midterm season begins this week and I felt so bad that I couldn't be here to encourage and support him.. They say the way to a guy's heart is through his stomach, and I'm sure having pre-made, ready-to-go meals can warm a guy's heart up pretty quick, too. Since he's usually too busy to make food for himself during his busy season, I had to think of creative ways to help my husband survive this week without me. It only took a few hours, two trips to Costco and a lot of Breaking Bad. (I finished the 5th season while I was preparing this! What a great show!!!)

I first prepped his lunches. On most days, Eugene will be gone the entire day so I just needed to prepare something to send with him. I whipped up some simple teriyaki salmon and grilled chicken with tuscan balsamic marinade. I also steamed and roasted huge bags of broccoli and made some rice.  Five days of lunch ready to go!


I also bought a Costco Pizza on my way home today. We live less than 5 minutes away, and this only costs us $10 so this was an easy decision for me. Eugene usually comes home pretty late (after LA traffic dies down) and is pretty hungry, so this is perfect! We love pizza! 


Here we are, individually foiled and ready to go into the freezer! 
Don't mind my pile of dishes!


These are also very wonderful, affordable and delicious little things from Costco. These little salads come in a pack of two for $5! They are really delicious and even have a fork inside! Perfect when you need to eat lunch on the go. 


...and these little, mini-sized guys are also from Costco. (Can you tell that we really, really LOVE Costco?) They come in a pack of 12 (mango, berry blast and green machine flavor) and are only $10! Perfect for on-the-go breakfast.


Now I can go to Florida in peace. :) 
Still sad that I can't be with Eugene this week  - but at least I know his tummy will be well-fed and happy! I'll try to keep you posted about my trip. Have a great week, everyone!

Give Thanks: breakfast at Jenny's, trips to Costco, the smell of lemons (and lemon zest!), Eugene coming home early to see me before I sleep (!!!), a yummy and encouraging boiling point lunch with Kristen, excitement for my week in Florida!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!