Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to make a quick, simple and easy chicken club salad

Eugene and I have recently resolved to live a healthier life style.

We've been frequenting the gym together (he just got his first membership, woohoo!), limiting how our fast food runs and trying to make healthier choices at home. Even though recently I've recently become a raging crave monster for all things Honey Pig.. Like. Every day. But anyway- We're trying to be healthier.

Today is Day 3. (haha.. baby steps, people.)

I've also been trying to make more food at home. We started eating breakfast more regularly- which usually consists of toast, avocado, an over easy egg and sriracha. I'm also trying to do a better job at packing him lunch! During the school year, I wouldn't see him for days at a time, and I never knew if he was gonna be home for lunch or for dinner so it was hard to cook regularly. Now that it's summer and he has a more predictable schedule - I should have no more excuses.

This is a salad I frequent quite often. It's really quick and easy to prepare - and it is so tasty!  I taylor it to my husband's liking - so you are more than welcome to embellish it in your own fine way.

 The key to this lunch salad is to try not to bring in too many steps in preparing it.  Especially if you're on a tight schedule or you only have a few minutes in the morning to whip something up - you want to make life as convenient as possible.  The steps included in preparing this salad is:

  • Take prewashed spinach out of bag - place into lunch container
  • Open package of Trader Joe's grilled chicken breast - lay a few strips on bed of spinach.
  • Quickly rinse cherry tomatoes and pat dry.
  • Peel and slice avocado  - you can even just leave the avocado as a half and skip the slicing step
  • Hard boil a few eggs - peel, place one or two with the salad. (I usually pre-boil a few at a time and save it in the fridge in a ziplock bag! They're usually good for a few days at least!)
  • Choose salad dressing - package it and keep it separate until lunch time.
    • I usually never pre-mix my dressing with the salad, lest the veggies get soggy. 

In less than 5 minutes (minus the egg boiling time), your salad is packed and ready!

 I will usually just pour a tablespoon of the dressing on a medium-sized piece of seram wrap and twist all the edges together. The easiest way to open this "dressing package" is to bite a small hole directly on the dressing bag and squirt it into the salad right before eating. (sorry for my lack of professional lingo haha)


And just in case you didn't know - trader Joe's has the best salad dressing. Actually, they have the best EVERYTHING. I love trader Joes.


Cheers to healthy lunches and happy tummies!

XOXO


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!