Tuesday, December 29, 2015

what's in my hospital bag?

So my doctor's appointment today revealed that I am still 0cm dilated and the baby's head is not 'engaged' yet. Thankfully, his head is still down (please, stay down!) so we are thankful for that at least! It's crazy because I feel like a ticking time bomb. I wake up almost every other hour at night wondering if my water broke and the braxton hicks are starting to kick in -- but no sign of baby just yet. It's such a weird feeling not knowing when it's gonna happen! 

Although we are anxious to meet him, we've been thankful for the extended time to prepare for his arrival and to spend time with just the two of us! Waiting for him to come has been making everything in day-to-day life so sweet! Every painless, uninterrupted, unrushed shower -- every trip to target alone -- every time we go out to eat -- every opportunity to sit at a coffee shop to enjoy a latte and read -- every 4-5 hour stretch I have to sleep at night. I know that in a matter of days or weeks, these seemingly ordinary things will become so much more precious so I've been trying to be mindful about treasuring it. Eugene has been asking our baby to stay inside until he finishes his residency applications (almost done!) and after he gets his oil change, which is due 'immediately' (we're going tomorrow!) I'm hoping that we'll have one last chance to take a beach trip and eat korean bbq (it's been a while!) so I guess we'll see what happens. I'm 39.5 weeks today :)

Since we knew he wasn't gonna be coming for another day or two (at least!), we spent extensive time figuring out + learning how to set up our carseat and stroller today. The next thing on my list to do is to learn how to use my breast pump (probably should be semi-familiar with it before I am sleep-deprived and high on hormones.) 


I also re-organized my hospital bag today and thought I would document what I packed. I hear that first time moms usually overpack like crazy. I've also heard of cases where moms forget to pack something silly like the baby's going home clothes-- and that the nurses have to rip an outfit off of a doll that they use for child care classes to have the baby wear home (lol!) Obviously I am a complete newb and have no idea what to expect -- so I will not act as though I have it all together! But, in hopes that I will be at least semi-prepared, I looked up a few different lists online and got a few helpful emails from veteran mama's about what they recommend putting in the bag. I hope that I can post a follow-up post after my delivery to review what I wish I had packed but didn't and also what I ended up not needing/using at all. 

So here's what's in my bag:


for mama
  • Hard candies + gum: When you're in labor, you usually aren't allowed to eat anything so I hear that hard candies and gum come in handly -- especially if you're in labor for 12+ hours! 
  • Comfy clothes: I packed some really loose and light PJ pants, a few loose shirts (one long sleeve + short sleeve) 
  • Nursing Tank: Especially if you are planning/hoping to breastfeed, I hear it is good to bring a nursing tank with you, so I packed one! I figure I will probably be wearing this the entire time after delivery. 
  • Slippers: I brought one waterproof one for the bathroom/shower and a furry one to walk around the room with (mainly because the waterproof Angels one that I bought is the most uncomfortable thing ever).
  • "Going home" outfit: I just packed cardigans to wear over my nursing tank/shirt when I go home. Two different ones because I like having options! 
  • Maxi pads/long overnight pads: I believe hospitals provide you with sanitary pads after you deliver (because you supposedly bleed for at least a few weeks after delivery!) but I wanted to bring my own just in case the hospital's pads are like mini diapers made out of sandpaper. 
  • Toiletries: I know that hospitals provide basic toiletries, but I hear that it's nice to have your own to freshen up with after delivery! I packed my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, facewash, lotion + stuff for my contacts. I also packed make-up just in case I end up wanting to use it! 
  • Nursing Essentials: nursing pads (just in case!) and ointment (I heard it's good to start as early as possible to prevent drying + cracks!)
  • Spare Glasses: I packed a pair of glasses in my bag because if I end up having to go to the hospital from somewhere other than home, I probably won't have my glasses with me! I'm pretty sure it would be uncomfortable wearing contacts for 24+ hours and it would be sad not to be able to see anything/the baby clearly after delivery haha.
  • Lotion + chapstick: My patients at the hospital always ask for lotion and/or chapstick. For some reason it's always so dry at the hospital -- so I packed a lot of chapstick and hand/body lotion because the kind that we give out at the hospital smell nasty IMO!
  • A good brush: The contraption that we dare call a 'comb' at the hospital is the cheapest, most wretched piece of plastic in the world, so I made sure to pack a good brush along with a headband and some extra bobby pins + hair ties!
for dad
  • Comfy clothes + PJs: I packed basketball shorts, two t-shirts and a long sleeve for Eugene. He's a pretty simple guy so this should last him the whole time! 
  • Toiletries: basic toiletries (I packed both of us a new toothbrush!) and I included hairwax for him too (is that vain?) because his current hairstyle looks pretty silly without anything holding it together.
  • Camera + chargers: Of course daddy needs to help me document some of the labor process so that I can archive the memories somehow! My sweet friends had gifted us with a GoPro so we have it packed in the bag with a few extra batteries! (Should I pack my head strap?) 
for baby
  • Onesies + Kimono Tees: I just packed some basic onesies and a kimono tee. I hear kimono tees are helpful because of the umbilical cord stump that the baby goes home with -- but I guess we'll see! 
  • "Going home" outfit: I packed him a warm going home outfit since he will most likely be born sometime in January and it's been so chilly lately! 
  • Blankets/Swaddlers: I'm not sure if the hospital provides this, but just in case!
  • Hats/Socks: My hospital provides hats so I'm not packing one-- though I hear hats are important for newborns to help keep them warm! My going away outfit for baby is a footed onesie so I didn't pack any socks! 
Not pictured: 
  • Nursing bras, underwear for mom + dad, etc. (Don't forget it! That would be embarrassing.)
I guess we'll see which of these things I actually use! If there is something important that I left out, let me know so that I can put it in the bag before we pack it into the car! My doctor says that if the baby doesn't come out on his own, we will induce by next Friday but I am hoping, hoping, hoping that we  won't have to! 

Please pray for us! 
xoxo



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!