Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Hello p3! (+ a survival guide)


Eugene started his first week of "p3" this week. 

"p3" aka his 3rd year of pharmacy school is known to be extremely gruesome.  He spends the majority of his day at school in class, has work at night a few days a week and the classes are known to be extremely fast-paced and overwhelming. He already has his first midterm next week. Yipes!  We've been preparing for this year all summer. Knowing how extremely challenging it was going to be - we spent extra time resting up, praying for strength and grace to get through it victoriously and I have been stocking up ideas on how to keep Eugene happy/motivated/pumped during his 3rd year. 

As Eugene's wife - God has been teaching me the way to my husband's heart. Even though we've almost been married for 3 years now - I'm constantly learning new things about my husband and getting more and more ideas on how to keep his spirits up. I know Eugene won't be a student forever- but I'm sure this process is going to be ongoing and I'll be learning and growing in this aspect for the rest of my life. As wives, we're called to be our husbands' helpers, supporters and greatest encouragers. My role as Eugene's wife in his season as a student is pretty different than what I envisioned my life as a wife would be - but I'm learning to give thanks for it and to embrace it and have fun with it while I can! 

I decided to make a "p3 survival guide" for Eugene's 3rd year. This is obviously a work in progress, as it's only been a few days - but I'm hoping that this will help jumpstart a year of finding creative, fun, unique ways to keep my husband happy and motivated during the most challenging  year of his grad-school career.  : ) So here it is: 

1. Multi-color pens that I get from the hospital so that he can color-coordinate his notes! (It's always a bonus if it has a green pen included since that's his favorite color!) 
This may mean that I have to use boring black pens at work instead, but it's worth it!

2. A new bottle of vitamins (per His request)
Getting sick during this year is not acceptable when the demand for your energy, focus and attention are in line - so staying stocked up on multivitamins is a must. Also, Eugene is in a nutrition class this semester so he specifically requested that I buy him a new bottle. : ) 

3. A brand new pack of notebooks (+ attached folders)
There's nothing like fresh, new school supplies to make you excited about the new school year. Thank goodness for Costco and their amazing deals on their high-quality items! Eugene actually liked these so much that he requested me to buy a second pack for him. Of course I had to say "yes!" : )

4. Fun little DIY meal request forms
I'm trying to create an inventory of these little worksheets to surprise Eugene with in the morning so that he has a fun, personalized meal to look forward to when he comes home after a long day. Eugene's love language is definitely good food - so these will definitely come in handy. I'm hoping to make at least 10 more to keep it fun and fresh! 

5. Surprise milk tea drop-off's
Eugene loves late night surprises - especially if I'm coming home late from something. He usually loves a large, iced diet coke from McDonalds ($1!!) or milk tea - especially if he's planning on staying up late. (This one was courtesy of my dear friend, Erin! Thanks Erin - he was so happy!!)  

6. Healthy meals to take on-the-go!
I am a total stress eater and I usually crave bad, carb-filled foods when I feel overwhelmed.. but thankfully Eugene is not like me. He actually really appreciates healthy, whole meals when he's busy and stressed. I've stocked up a lot of healthy lunch ideas in my head and will hopefully be able to meal plan well and have these lunches handy every day. 

7. Snacks for late night cravings
Last year - I found that Eugene always requested for small late night snacks while he was studying. It gave him the extra push to study into the wee hours of the night, even if he was feeling sleepy. I'm trying to plan meals that can easily be changed to little midnight snacks. Thankfully, Eugene never minds eating the same things twice. (He even requests to eat a particular thing two times in a row!) That's God's grace to me...whew  :) 

No matter how challenging this year seems - I know that it is God's grace that carried us through these last few years and I know that it is that same grace that is helping us today.  I'm looking forward to the many lessons that we'll learn and praying that God increase our faith, trust and dependence on Him as we victoriously sail through this year. We're ready. Let's do this!!!

P3 aint got nothin' on us!
: ) 



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!