Tuesday, July 22, 2014

enjoy every season // life lately


A constant battle I have within myself is to find contentment in every season.

Something I'm realizing is that you don't have to look too far to find reason for discontentment in your day-to-day life and there's always a sense of longing for the next best thing. No matter how hard we try, it's almost our natural tendency to take for granted things/moments/people most precious to us. Lately, I've been praying for eyes to see the beauty in the ordinary and the glory in the mundane;   to see that God is purposeful in every season of my life (especially when it's most difficult!) I'm learning that if I take a moment to look deeply into the fine, intricate details of my sometimes-ordinary life - there are a million reasons to rejoice and give thanks every day. I'm trying to make lists of all of the wonderful things I can be thankful for every day. Even in the hardest days, under the most challenging circumstances - there is hope when you know that your God is always in control and that he can use any and everything to bring glory to Himself. I'm learning to enjoy and embrace every single season that God has given me.

In future seasons -  the challenges will look different but the core of my struggle will be the same. I may need to fight be to find joy and a heart of thanksgiving for things like diaper changing - driving to soccer practice, ballet rehearsals, PTA meetings - routine meal-planning -waking up in the wee hours of the night, etc. but here are a few things I'm thankful for today:

1.  Morning Starbucks runs  - and how waking up at 5:30am and driving in semi-heavy morning traffic can be done with excitement and anticipation.

2. My 6:00am accountability group - and our (almost) daily picture texts. It's amazing how much these girls keep me in check and spur me on to be faithful in guarding my time in the Word and in prayer even if we don't see each other face-to-face or engage in conversation on a regular basis. (hi peggy and hmc!)

3. Eugene and his creative, make-shift meals with our super limited pantry items - he has been so patient and gracious to me as I transition into this double-duty, double-job life. My favorite has been his salmon fried rice! My husband is truly the best!

4. Costco - our current obsessions have been chia seeds, Activa yogurts, Acai frozen packets, Cottage cheese and pre-packed salads.

5. Spotify - and for the amazing amount of joy and fun it brings me when spending hours upon hours in the car. I love singing to musical songs, learning harmonies for all my favorite slow jams and rocking out with my windows down! 

6. Pretzel Crisps, to-go hummus cups, fig bars, apple slices, string cheese and the sustenance it provides during my 10-12 hour-day on the road seeing my hospice patients!

7. Google maps - and the fact that it re-routes itself when I miss freeway exits because I'm too busy acting out a scene from a musical. Woops!

8. My awesome college staff team - I'm truly blessed to be able to serve with such a faithful group of people who have such a passionate love for God and for His people. They are truly one of the biggest blessings in my life and a huge source of encouragement to me. 

9. Pho 2000 in Artesia and the amazing late-night runs we're able to do because Eugene is in the middle of his summer break. Actually, thank God for pho - period! 

10. A short but sweet summer vacay to look forward to (We're going on a cruise in a few weeks!) and excitement and anticipation for all the ways that God will use Eugene's third (and hardest) year to grow us in our trust/dependence on Him!


Hopefully the first of many posts.
Let's always rejoice and give thanks!


 "Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 -

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!