Tuesday, May 20, 2014

{recipe} stuffed eggplant & bell peppers

you guys! i made my first video (well, in a long time.)

i actually love making videos. i used to make videos all the time for church, for different events for my campus ministry, for weddings, for fun, etc. it's sort of my low-key hobby that i do in private because i'm embarrassed. i'm not professional at all and my videos are newby at best. i've had an itch to try making a video again since i got my dslr two years ago but never got around to it until today.

today i decided to clean out my fridge and whip up a healthy dinner (i haven't cooked in a while - we've been out all week!) i had a lot of random veggies in my fridge - including two huge bell peppers and an eggplant, and a pack of ground chicken...so naturally, i wanted to make stuffed eggplant and bell peppers! this recipe is super low-key, quick and easy to make. it's also low on carbs and pretty healthy overall. :) I served mine with a side of garlic roasted broccolini - which is my current vegetable obsessions, btw!


the recipe is below.
i hope you guys like my video! i had sooo much fun putting it together (and it only took 20 minutes or so!) I wasn't sure how to carry my camera while throwing things in the pot, stirring, etc. i had to wash my hands like, 100 times! hopefully i'll get a better at taking/making videos :)

enjoy! (and be easy on me, peeps...)





Stuffed Eggplant and Bell Peppers 
Prep time: 15 mins  Cook Time:  30 minutes
Serves 2

1 medium-sized eggplant
2 large bell peppers
1 pack of ground meat (I used chicken)
1 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1 handful of spinach
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup couscous
garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
EVOO

freshly grated cheese
breadcrumbs (i used italian)

 Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut tip of eggplant, discard. Halve eggplant lengthwise and scoop out flesh. Chop eggplant flesh and set aside.  Cut the top of bell pepper and removed stem. Remove seeds from the hollow body of bell pepper, set aside. Chop remaining portion of bell pepper after removing the stem. Chop onion and tomato into bite-sized pieces, set aside. Heat a large cast iron (or pot) and apply generous amount of EVOO. Brown ground chicken and season with garlic powder, s&p.  Add onions and saute. Add chicken stock. Add all remaining vegetables (tomato, eggplant flesh, chopped bell peppers, spinach) and stir well. Add couscous. Close lid for 5-7 minutes and allow it to steam. Coat eggplant and bell pepper with EVOO and season with s&p. Turn off heat and spoon in generous amounts of filling. Top with freshly grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until eggplant/bell peppers are fork-tender. 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!