Thursday, January 2, 2014

Happy 2014!

2013 was good to us.



It had it's challenges (i.e. moving twice, adjusting to two different cities, getting used to Eugene being super busy with pharmacy school and working as a pharmacist intern, switching jobs, trying to figure out how to budget our money to pay tuition, etc.) But it's also brought a lot of fun, joy and a whole lotta growth (i.e. learning to be flexible, to stop being a control freak, living 5 minutes next to Costco and Porto's, opportunities at work, going to Florida for the Magnet Conference, serving in college ministry, etc.)

The adventures of 2014 are before us and we're ready and pumped up about the opportunities and change that the new year brings us. With all the things that God has taught us this year and the many ways he has (sometimes painfully) taught us - I'm excited to see how God will continue to work this coming year.

I've always believed that goals are best when they are SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-Bound) so I've thought of a few things I would like to accomplish in 2014.

1) Read through the entire bible! 
This is something that I have still never done in my (almost) 7 years as a Christian. (Womp, womp..) I think I've attempted this 5 times already, but still never got through it.  I'm determined to get through it cover-to-cover this year. I'll be using D.A. Carson's "For the Love of God" to keep track of my daily reading and I downloaded this super cool iPhone app that has commentary on the reading for the day (IT'S FREE!). If you haven't found a reading plan yet - join me! Or find a reading plan that works for you. :)

 



2) Learn a new cooking skill each month!
I have a ridiculous amount of cook books/magazines that I haven't gone through yet. I have a few really helpful books like "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman & "Keys to the Kitchen" by Aida Mollenkamp. My goal is to not simply browse through these books but to actually learn a new technique/recipe each month. Hopefully this blog will keep me accountable!




3) Read 12 books in 2014. 
If a pseudo book-lover was a thing, that would be me. I think I love books, and the idea of books and the image of myself spending long hours reading in a coffee shop or a beach somewhere with a nice latte in one hand and a book in the other. Sadly, I rarely have the discipline to sit myself down to actually do it. I'M SUCH A SPAZ! I really want to discipline myself more this year to spend time reading at least 12 of the hundreds of books I currently have in my possession. No more being a shameful psedo-book lover!

4) Do at least one craft a month.
Whether it be for the home or for gifting!

5) To blog more than I did in 2013. 
....which should be relatively easy since I only posted 37 blog posts in 2013!

Cheers to a new year of cooking, blogging, learning, coffee-ing, reading, giving thanks and testifying of God's awesome grace in our lives!


1 comment:

  1. Happy new year, Sharon!! I have 4 similar goals as you (all but the crafts because i'm not so artsy haha) and maybe i'll blog my resolutions too later! we can do this!!

    ReplyDelete