Wednesday, December 12, 2012

five things I'm currently reading

Not everyone may know this about me, but I really love reading. If I could, I would sit in coffee shops for hours and hours sipping on some bad-for-you latte or extra-iced tea and read books all day long. I definitely don't read as much as I would like to, but I'm hoping to change that! I've set goals for myself for the new year so that I could encourage myself to read more of the books I've purchased through the years. I have quite a collection actually (we're gonna be buying another bookshelf soon, we're running out of shelf space) and some books are still in the plastic wrapper.... so shameful!

I vow to (try my best) not to buy any more books for the time being.. emphasis on *try*.

I'm also really ambitious when it comes to reading and I usually starting 3-4 books at one time because I can never decide which one to read first! Unfortunately, I'm a really slow reader and I get discouraged pretty easily so I rarely get to the end. (Such a bad habit, I know!) To alleviate this bad habit of mine, one of my New Years resolutions is to read 12 books from cover to cover (one book a month!) Hopefully this blog will keep me accountable... but, more on that later.


I've been reading a few books for the past few weeks and thought I'd share with you!
Here are five things I'm currently reading:




The Smitten Kitchen is a really fun read with lots of great recipes. The recipes are fancy but the writer makes it so simple and approachable. She shares funny stories, lots of helpful tips and great ideas for make-aheads. 


The Keys to the Kitchen is probably my favorite kitchen-related, food-related cook book EVER. It teaches you everything you need to know about the food you're cooking with and the kitchen you're cooking it in. The book talks about how to cook different cuts of meat, what types of spices are good to use in stews vs pastas, different types/consistencies of cheese and which ones to melt vs grate. It also teaches you how to stores/freeze your food, how to sanitize your kitchen goodies, what to stock your pantry with, what vegetables and fruits are in season-- the list goes on! The book ends with 300+ recipes of simple yet AMAZING food.  I'm telling you, the best book EVER.


I randomly grabbed this book off the shelf last week when I had a few hours to kill at Starbucks. I love all Jerry Bridges books because of how clearly he's able to explain the fundamental truths of the Christian faith. The Transforming Power of the Gospel helps us to understand God's grace in our every day lives and how we still need the gospel each and every day. An encouraging read!

These next two are books that I'm always reading.  These books are devotional/prayer books that are great if you're low on time due to busy work seasons, super mom life with kids, etc.. 


The Valley of Vision is a collection of prayers of people who loved God and knew how to deeply commune with Him in prayer. I am always so blessed and strengthened whenever I read pages from this book. This book always leads my heart to worship. I highly encourage you to get this book. ASAP :)



"If" is a really small book that at first glance appears to be a small collection of poems. Amy Carmichael is one of my favorite female authors and one of my heroes of the faith. These are much-needed, honest reminders of how Christ's sacrifice for us on Calvary ought to transform us mind, body and soul. There are no words to really describe what the book is so here are some excerpts.

If I cannot in honest happiness take the second place (or the twentieth); 
if I cannot take the first without making a fuss about my unworthiness, 
then I know nothing of Calvary love

If the praise of others elates me and their blame depresses me; 
if I cannot rest under misunderstanding without defending myself; 
if I love to be loved more than to love, to be served more than to serve, 
then I know nothing of Calvary love.

f I refuse to allow one who is dear to me to suffer for the sake of Christ, 
if I do not see such suffering as the greatest honor that can be offered 
to any follower of the Crucified, then I know nothing of Calvary love.

Happy Reading!
Have a great week, everyone!

XOXO,
sharon

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!